University Student Transition Resources
This list of resources is meant to reinforce learning and the skills needed for academic success in university. The following programs are available to all students attending Ontario universities.
This list is not intended to be all-inclusive, partly because universities regularly make adjustments to services.
Have questions or need more information? Contact the appropriate university directly.
Trent University – Durham Greater Toronto Area
Academic Skills Resources
- Offering in-person and online instruction and resources in writing and the study skills required for success at university. These include:
- Grammar and composition
- Critical reading and thinking
- Listening and note-taking
- Time management
- Essay writing
- Science writing and laboratory reports
- Research and citation
- Exam preparation
- Academic Skills Resources - Peterborough Campus
- Academic Skills Resources - Durham GTA Campus
- Supports your career development through free appointments, workshops, online resources and opportunities to connect with employers and recruiters.
- Careerspace - Peterborough Campus
- Careerspace - Durham GTA Campus
- Trent Counselling Services offers confidential, individual therapy appointments and crisis counselling, and group drop-in workshops for students interested in accessing emotional and mental health support from counsellors.
- Counselling Services - Peterborough Campus
- Counselling Services - Durham GTA Campus
- Online resources to help you navigate building your timetable.
- Course Registration - Peterborough Campus
- Course Registration - Durham GTA Campus
First Peoples House of Learning (Indigenous Student Resources)
- Cultural services and supports for a diverse community of Indigenous learners (First Nations Status, Non-Status, Métis and Inuit).
- Offers a collaboration with students to support academic success, personal development and leadership potential.
- First Peoples House of Learning - Peterborough Campus
- First Peoples House of Learning - Durham GTA Campus
- Academic and social integration sessions for all incoming students.
- Specialized sessions and partnerships with Academic Skills, Colleges, First Peoples House of Learning and Trent International.
- With the use of an online app, upper-year students act as peer mentors.
- Peterborough Orientation
- Durham GTA Orientation
Peer Supports and Academic Mentoring
- Exploring services and resources on campus
- Discovering strategies for success
- One-on-one mentoring
- Study groups
- Peer Supports and Academic Mentoring - Peterborough Campus
- Peer Supports and Academic Mentoring - Durham GTA Campus
Student Accessibility Services
- Individualized accommodation planning and advising.
- Referrals to on- and off-campus services and supports.
- Consultation to students, faculty and staff on disability, accessibility and accommodation matters.
- Student Accessibility Services - Peterborough Campus
- Student Accessibility Services - Durham GTA Campus
- Supporting international students with academic advising, housing, finances, health insurance, cultural transition, immigration and many other challenges.
- Workshops and advising to support the hundreds of international students who choose to study at Trent each year.