Financial Support Information for Indigenous Applicants

Quick Links

How do I find out if I am eligible for financial support?

The financial support available to First Nations, Inuit and Métis students through their communities varies.

Status First Nations Students

If you are a Status First Nation student, you can access funding through your community band council’s education department and the Postsecondary Student Support Program. You must complete an application. Check with your community’s education officer to make sure you have the correct application, as it may vary by community.

Depending on your community’s size and priorities, not all eligible students may receive funding. If you do receive funding, the amount may not cover all university costs. Be prepared to apply for additional scholarships, bursaries and other financial aid.

Inuit Students

Inuit students who have been or are residents of the Northwest Territories (NWT) or Nunavut for more than 12 months can apply for funding through:

If you live in Ontario, Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation offers financial assistance and support on behalf of the Inuit community in Ontario.

Métis Students

If you are a Métis student, you may be eligible for Métis Nation of Ontario scholarships and bursaries. Métis students are not eligible for First Nations community-based funding.

When should I apply for funding?

Sooner is always better, but the application deadlines for funding may vary among communities.

A common deadline with many First Nations’ band councils for applications for fall admission is mid-May to June.

Contact your community’s education officer to make sure you know the deadlines.

What are the most important questions I should ask my Education Officer before I begin university?

  • What is the minimum number of courses or credits I need to keep my funding?
  • Is there funding available to help cover the costs of moving to another city to go to university?
  • What is the minimum grade point average I must maintain to continue to receive funding?
  • What happens if I fail or withdraw from a class?
  • Do you fund for the spring or summer terms?
  • How and when will I receive my living allowance?
  • Do I need to apply for funding each semester or just once each academic year?
  • Do you make course load exceptions for students with disabilities?
  • Is there any funding available that will help cover the costs to travel home for holidays or family emergencies?
  • Can I receive additional funding for adaptive technology, a computer or travel-abroad opportunities?

Do I need to have lived or be living on my reserve to be eligible for band funding?

  • It depends on the rules set out by the band council. Ask the postsecondary funding coordinator if you are eligible to receive funding.
  • If you have not lived on a reserve, it is important to explain or establish your connection to your community in your application to the band council.

I have priority funding. What does that mean?

Depending on your community funding, there may be a priority arrangement in place to determine who will receive funding first. Generally, priority is given in this order:

  • Continuing students – students who are coming directly from high school or are currently enrolled in postsecondary studies.
  • Wait-listed students – students who previously applied for funding but were not funded due to lack of funds.
  • Returning students – students who previously received funding and then interrupted their studies for more than 1 academic term and are now continuing their studies.
  • New students – students who are applying for a postsecondary program who have never received funding.

What portion of tuition will be paid by the community?

You will receive a sponsorship letter from your education officer that confirms the maximum amount of tuition that will be covered for the term.

These amounts are usually enough to cover the cost of tuition and other student fees but, depending on your program and its associated costs, the funding you receive may not cover everything.

Be sure to look into scholarships, bursaries and other forms of financial aid.